Woman claiming she was raped by MP fights to overturn police decision

Woman claiming she was raped by Tory MP says he attacked her in Parliamentary office as she fights to overturn police decision to drop the case

  • Woman who accuses MP says police did not follow up several lines of inquiry
  • Aide is being advised by a QC and is continuing bid to have the politician jailed
  • MP consistently denied allegations, which police say could not be corroborated

An aide who claims she was raped by a Conservative MP says one of the attacks took place in his parliamentary office while other politicians worked nearby.

The woman says police did not fully investigate her allegations and did not follow up several lines of inquiry before they shelved the case last month. 

The MP has consistently denied the allegations, which police say could not be corroborated. 

But the aide is now being advised by a top QC and is continuing her bid to have the ‘monster’ politician jailed, as one source says the woman had gone through ‘utter hell’ and was subjected to verbal, physical and mental abuse.

The aide’s mother said she feared for her daughter’s life after finding her ‘in shock, sobbing’, with scratches on her arms, The Mirror reports. 

The mother has claimed that police dismissed evidence and suggested the aide might consider dropping the case.   

But the woman now claims that police had not questioned fourteen people with supporting evidence, texts and phone records were ignored, and officers dismissed the allegations because she was in a relationship with the MP – who was arrested in August amid allegations of rape, sexual assault and coercive control.

The woman now claims that police had not questioned fourteen people with supporting evidence, key evidence including texts and phone records were ignored, and officers dismissed the allegations because she was in a relationship with the MP

If the Crown Prosecution Service decided to prosecute, the politician could face trial, with a minimum sentence of 19 years if convicted of rape. 

The woman says the attack in Westminster, which is one of four alleged assaults, took place in mid-2019.

A source close to her said that it happened one day after he threatened her on a night out, shouting at her in the street with ‘raised fists, screaming in her face, and swearing at her, before he tried to push her into a taxi.’

‘This was all because she was late to dinner,’ the source added. ‘After this, she rang her mum in floods of tears.

‘She said, ”I’m so scared of him, I want to get away from him and never see him again”.’

The next day, he told her to come to his office to apologise, and the alleged sexual assault was said to have then taken place. 

The woman told lawyers two sexual assaults took place in mid-2019, with one later in the year and the rape in early 2020. 

She had called her parents after the final incident, and they took her to hospital, reports say. 

The aide’s mother said she feared the MP would ‘kill or seriously injure’ her, having been aggressive ‘throughout the relationship’, with the daughter often ringing her in tears. 

The woman, who is in her early 20s, has been diagnosed with PTSD. 

One source claimed the politician said he would ‘destroy’ the woman’s life and ‘wreck her career’ if she ever told anyone what happened.  

The Metropolitan Police confirmed in December that the case ‘did not meet the evidential test’ despite a thorough investigation of the allegations.

Friends of the MP, who has consistently maintained his innocence, spoke of his relief that the probe was over.

The Palace of Westminster, comprising both houses of parliament, the House of Commons and the House of Lords, is silhouetted in the late autumn sun in central London (file photo)

Allies of the politician had appealed to Scotland Yard to ‘end his torment’, saying that after four months of inquiries, police should be able to bring their investigation to an end.

The man, who the Sunday Times reported has been carrying out parliamentary duties from home since his arrest, has been told of the police decision.

The alleged victim told the paper she intends to appeal against the decision under the Victims’ Right to Review Scheme.

The Mail on Sunday revealed in August how the politician was arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault against a young Commons researcher.  

After his arrest, the MP was released on police bail which was eventually lifted in mid-October, although police insisted he remained under investigation for assault, sexual assault and rape.

However, in a statement in December, the Met said: ‘Following a thorough investigation and based on all evidence made available to officers, the decision was taken that the case did not meet the evidential test and no further action will be taken.

‘The complainant has been made aware of the decision.’ 

One friend of the MP said: ‘The last four-and-a-half months have been a living nightmare for this MP.

‘But hopefully, now that the Met have finally concluded a thorough investigation and recommended discontinuing the case as a result, he and his loved ones can at last return to some kind of normal life.’

Source: Read Full Article