Netflix and Bafta drop producer after 11 women's sexual assault claims

Netflix and Bafta drop award-winning After Life producer Charlie Hanson after 11 women pen 5,000-word email outlining their claims of sexual assault

  • Charlie Hanson, who worked on After Life, faces accusations of sex misconduct
  • Golden Globe winner, 68, is in spotlight after 11 women wrote to Netflix and Bafta
  • The alleged victims say that Mr Hanson preyed on them when they were younger
  • The producer denied all the claims and said that he would assist a formal probe

A star producer has been dropped by Netflix and Bafta after a group of women accused him of being a sexual predator.

Charlie Hanson, who worked on After Life, Extras, Desmond’s and Birds of a Feather, faces accusations of misconduct.

The 68-year-old Golden Globe winner is in the spotlight after 11 women wrote to Netflix and Bafta about incidents between 2008 and 2015.

The alleged victims say Mr Hanson preyed on them when they were younger ‘promising them a starry career under his wing’.

They claim he then made unwanted sexual advances and they feared their career would be stunted if they did not oblige.

One woman claimed Mr Hanson had sex with her without consent in 2008 after they had met to talk about a script.

Another alleged the producer had ‘acted as a mentor’, introducing her to industry contacts but sexually assaulted her in 2015 when she was too drunk to consent.

The 11 women penned a 5,000-word anonymous email to Netflix and Bafta in which they outlined their claims.

Charlie Hanson (pictured with Amma Asante and Abbie Cornish in 2018), who worked on After Life, Extras, Desmond’s and Birds of a Feather, faces accusations of misconduct

The 68-year-old Golden Globe winner (pictured with Ricky Gervais in 2017) is in the spotlight after 11 women wrote to Netflix and Bafta about incidents between 2008 and 2015

The document, seen by the Times, said: ‘Charlie Hanson is a predator who uses his reputation, connections and standing in order to groom far younger, impressionable and sometimes vulnerable women into trusting him.

‘At times he will promise them a starry career under his wing, and then exploits that trust in creepy and illegal ways.

‘He then tries to diminish the seriousness of what he’s done by telling these young women us that it wasn’t as bad as it seemed, that it was somehow blameless.

‘He does his best to convince himself and others that this method of operating is fine. But we know it is not fine.’

They also called for senior executives at Netflix and Bafta to consider if Mr Hanson should be allowed to continue his roles.

The alleged victims say Mr Hanson (pictured with Diana Chire and Aggy K Adams in 2018) preyed on them when they were younger ‘promising them a starry career under his wing’

The producer has denied all the claims made against him and said he would assist any formal probe into his behaviour.

He added that he had been appalled to read the ‘historical and false allegations’ and added ‘I know that’s not what I’m like’.

His solicitor said in a statement: ‘Our client is shocked and appalled by these historical and false allegations of improper conduct towards women.

‘He maintains that he has never acted inappropriately on any production, or at all, and has never had any complaints made about his conduct over the course of many decades in the media industry.

‘Our client has worked with and supported hundreds of individuals, including countless women, and has never before heard any such allegations.

‘For the avoidance of doubt, our client denies any wrongdoing and will do whatever is required in order to restore any damage to his hard-earned professional and personal reputation. He is prepared to co-operate fully with any formal investigation.’

He is understood to have not returned to the After Life production set since Netflix was sent the email on Monday.

A spokesman for Netflix said: ‘On Monday, we received an anonymous email containing historical allegations about a producer on one of our titles.

The producer (pictured with Shanon Finley in 2014) has denied all the claims made against him and said he would assist any formal probe into his behaviour

‘Whilst the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately removed him from the production and referred the matter to the police.’

A spokesman for Bafta said: ‘We have been presented with a number of very serious detailed allegations about an individual and while we are not their employer we immediately took the decision to suspend their membership.

‘Bafta is an arts charity and does not have the power to investigate historic claims of abuse therefore we have referred the matter to the police.

‘The behaviour that these accounts allege is abhorrent, in complete opposition to Bafta values and has no place in our industry.’

Source: Read Full Article