Brit woman, 21, tragically died after taking toxic ‘diet’ pills from Ukraine
The devastated parents of a woman whose death was linked to a toxic “slimming pill” says there’s no legitimate industrial use for the drug and have called for it to be banned outright.
Bethany Shipsey, 21, purchased a pill containing Dinitrophenol (DNP), which is illegally sold online as a slimming aid.
From October 1, 2023, it will be re-classified as a poison and regulated under under the Poisons Act 1972, meaning that anyone who wants to buy it will need a licence to do so via a registered pharmacist.
READ MORE: 'Plus-sized' teen body-shamed by beauty queen trolls now runs all-female security team
But the parents of Bethany say that’s not enough following her death in hospital in February 2017 after ingesting 'diet' pills containing Dinitrophenol (DNP), which had been sold illegally through a website registered in Ukraine.
A later inquest heard Bethany, from Worcester, had swallowed so-called 'fat-burning pills' bought online from Ukraine before texting a pal: "I have just overdosed on DNP."
She was taken to hospital where she suffered a cardiac arrest, and sadly died two days later.
The Inquest also heard Bethany was not treated as a priority at the Worcestershire Royal Hospital despite stating the overdose.
According to Heathline, DNP – or 2.4 Dinitrophenol – is a drug that's marketed as a weight-loss supplement and can cause serious side effects such as organ failure.
The government has introduced new legislation in a bid to control the drug.
Heartless delivery driver killed five-year-old then carried on to drop off takeaway
Security Minister Tom Tugendhat said: "Around the UK, businesses and individuals use various chemicals for a wide range of legitimate uses. However, we must also minimise the risk posed by the illicit use of poisons.
"It is our responsibility to ensure our robust controls of these substances are updated and controls in place against those who wish to abuse them. These steps will do just that."
Bethany's father Doug told ITV News said he welcomed the announcement but he still wanted DNP to be banned entirely.
He said: "It's a step in the right direction, but it's not enough.
"You know, we want to go for an outright ban because, during the years since we lost Beth, we just can't find any legitimate industrial uses, which is why the government has been saying for all these years that it's still legal to sell DNP."
Bethany's mother, Carole, added: "We've lost one of the most precious things in our lives, and it's really difficult because you watch her friends and within her peer group they're getting married and having babies and she should really be part of that."
To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here .
- SeaWorld denies creating hybrid 'Jurassic World'-type Orcas in mating programme
- US army builds electric barrier of death to stop rampaging fish destroying Great Lakes
- Shark warning at UK beach as 'fin' in water sparks 24-hour swimming ban
- Rampaging crocodile sparked plane crash that killed 20 after being smuggled onboard
Source: Read Full Article