Mauritians March in Another Protest in Villages Hit by Oil Spill

Afghanistan’s Warring Sides Start Negotiations Aimed at Ending Decades of War

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Afghanistan’s warring sides start negotiations in Qatar for the first time aimed at ending decades of war.

China bans German pork imports after African swine fever case

SHANGHAI (REUTERS) – China announced on Saturday (Sept 12) a ban on the import of pork and pig products from Germany after the European country confirmed its first case of African swine fever in a wild boar last week.

The move to block imports from China’s third largest supplier of pork comes even as the Asian nation battles an unprecedented shortage of the meat after its own epidemic of the deadly hog disease.

The ban was announced by China’s customs agency and its agriculture ministry.

Mary Trump Delivers A Stark Warning About 4 More Years Of Her ‘Weak’ Uncle

Mary Trump held little back when predicting what the reelection of her uncle, President Donald Trump, will do to the country.

The president’s niece ― who revealed multiple damning details about her uncle in her tell-all book “Too Much and Never Enough, How My Family Created The World’s Most Dangerous Man” ― told MSNBC’s Ari Melber on Friday that the president is “a very sick man” and is “never going to get better.”

“He’s only going to get worse and if it suits his purposes he will take this entire country down with him and he clearly has a lot of people willing to help him do just that,” Mary Trump warned viewers. “So please vote carefully.”

Check out Mary Trump’s comments here:

Mary Trump, elsewhere in the interview, slammed her uncle’s enablers in the GOP, his lies and administration’s catastrophic handling of the coronavirus pandemic and described him as “fundamentally a racist,” saying he “thrives in chaos and division” because “he is so weak and incompetent.” 

Check out the full interview here:

RELATED…


China’s Xinhua Says Raids on Reporters in Australia ‘Appalling’

Australian raids on Chinese journalists living in that country were “imperious” and “utterly appalling,” and are damaging relations between the two nations, China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency said late Friday.

Australian authorities confiscated computers and phones in raids on four Chinese journalists’ homes, including that of a Xinhua employee, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said Wednesday. The operation was conducted by Australian intelligence workers, Xinhua said.

Tensions have risen between the two countries over a series of diplomatic moves by Canberra that China interpreted as supporting the U.S. in the expanding trade and security dispute between Beijing and Washington.

— With assistance by Charlie Zhu, and Emma Dong

Philippines Reports Surge in Fatalities After Re-Classification

Sign up here for our daily coronavirus newsletter on what you need to know, and subscribe to our Covid-19 podcast for the latest news and analysis.

The Philippines recorded a surge in deaths caused by Covid-19, after having to take into account 126 fatalities that had been incorrectly classified, according to data the Health Department released Saturday.

The country recorded 186 virus-related deaths, according to the department. On final validation, 128 cases previously reported as recovered were found to be 126 deaths and two active cases, the department said. The adjustments cover data going back to April.

The country added 4,935 new Covid cases as of 4 p.m. Saturday, bringing the total to 257,863 cases, the department said. The Manila metropolitan area accounts for about half of the country’s cases. Total recoveries increased by 659 to 187,116 patients, it said.

The Philippines is battling Southeast Asia’s worst Covid-19 outbreak, with cases doubling over five weeks. Infections soared even after the government returned the Manila capital region and nearby provinces to a stricter lockdown for two weeks in August.

Philippines Eases Distancing Rules, Allows More Air Passengers

Yellow Vest Protests Relaunched in France After Virus Hiatus

Paris (AP) — Activists relaunched France’s yellow vest movement Saturday after the disruptive demonstrations against Emmanuel Macron’s presidency and perceived elitism tapered off during the coronavirus pandemic.

Paris police said that more than 120 people were stopped and over 25 have been placed in custody so far in the French capital. Organizers hope the fresh day-long marches will attract many thousands of participants.

Paris authorities designated areas such as the Champs-Elysees Avenue off-limits, and parts of the Paris metro along the famed avenue were temporarily closed.

The yellow vest movement began in fall 2018 to protest a fuel tax hike that was said to punish the poorest French. Named for the florescent vests motorists are required to carry in France, it morphed into more than a year of weekly anti-government protests that caused multiple deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Mauritians March in Another Protest in Villages Hit by Oil Spill

Sign up to our Next Africa newsletter and follow Bloomberg Africa on Twitter

Thousands took to the streets in the southeastern region of Mauritius, where a bulk carrier spilled fuel into the water last month, to show discontent over the handling of the disaster.

“We are asking for full transparency in the inquiry regarding Wakashio,” said Rashid Imrith, president of the All Employees Confederation, who also helped organize Saturday’s match. The MV Wakashio, owned by Nagashiki Shipping Co., leaked about 1,000 tons of fuel into the Indian Ocean island nation’s waters after it ran aground July 25.

This is the second large protest since the spill that threatens widespread damage to a marine ecosystem that communities and the government rely on for jobs and revenue. On Aug. 29, thousands marched on the streets of Mauritian capital Port Louis blaming the government for failing to prevent the leakage.