UK apologises to Princess Mary after ‘clumsy’ mistaken funeral invite

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark marries in 2004

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The UK Foreign Office has issued a “profound apology” to Crown Princess Mary of Denmark after she was invited to the Queen’s funeral by mistake. On September 13, the Danish royal family confirmed Mary’s attendance at the State Funeral, saying: “HM The Queen and the Crown Prince Couple [will be] present at the State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II”.

But on September 19, the family issued another statement confirming the attendance of “Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince”, making no mention of Princess Mary.

Official invites sent to current heads of state allowed them to bring one guest to the funeral.

But initially, Denmark appeared to have been offered two guests, along with its head of state, Queen Margrethe II.

The British Foreign Office has reportedly confirmed it sent an apology to the Danish Royal Household via the Danish Embassy.

The “regrettable error” was made due to the Foreign Office having to send out many invitations within a short space of time.

The Danish Royal House told Danish news outlet BT: “There has been a regrettable error in the invitation from the British Foreign Office’s protocol.

“It is thus only the Queen and the Crown Prince who, from the Danish side, will participate in Queen Elizabeth II’s state funeral on Monday.”

A Foreign Office spokesperson told the Mail Online: “The FCDO has passed on their profound apologies to the Danish Royal Household through the Danish Embassy.”

BT’s royal correspondent Jacob Heinel Jensen said the Danish royal house would have been “upset” by the change in invitation, describing it as “embarrassing”.

He said: “It’s really clumsy and unfortunate…

“It has meant that the Royal House must now say that a mistake had been made, and that is embarrassing.

“I think the Royal House easily understands that a mistake has been made.”

DON’T MISS: 
Prince Harry & Prince William in show of unity as they attend funeral [INSIGHT] 
George looks stoic and grown up as he walks in procession with William [PICTURES] 
Harry and Meghan look solemn as Sussexes receive police escort [REPORT]

Mr Jensen added: “I wondered myself when I was in London and the British media wrote that there were only two invitees per country.

“After all, you got the feeling that there really must be extra close ties between Denmark and Britain’s royal house if we got three invitations.”

A total of 2,000 people attended the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II yesterday, including world leaders and foreign royals.

Representatives of more than 20 Royal Families were present at the service, which took place at Westminster Abbey.

The funeral was conducted by the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle Dean of Westminster, while the sermon was delivered by the Most Reverend and Right Honourable Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Queen was laid to rest in the King George VI memorial chapel, a small annexe to the main chapel at Windsor.

She was buried alongside her father, George VI, the Queen Mother and her sister, Princess Margaret.

Express.co.uk has contacted the UK Foreign Office for comment.

Source: Read Full Article