Prince Andrew blasted for being ‘arrogant’ and unpopular: ‘What’s he for?’

Expert says Prince Andrew's royal comeback is impossible

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Prince Andrew has reportedly found a buyer for his luxury Swiss ski chalet after settling a £6.6million debt on the Verbier property. The chalet is said to have been bought for around £17.5million. The Duke of York is waiting to find out the judgement on his civil case in New York, brought against him by Virginia Giuffre. Ms Giuffre claims she is a victim of Jeffrey Epstein, a convicted sex offender who died in prison in 2019 while waiting to stand trial for sex trafficking.

Andrew has come under fire for his friendship with Epstein and for staying in his Manhattan mansion, even after he was released from prison the first time.

Ms Giuffre alleges she was forced by Epstein into having non-consensual sex with the royal three times.

Andrew has always vehemently denied the claims, saying he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Ms Giuffre.

Last Tuesday, New York Southern District Judge Kaplan had told lawyers for the Duke of York and Ms Giuffre that he would provide his ruling “pretty soon”.

The controversy surrounding Andrew is sparking concerns that the image of the Royal Family could be damaged.

Penny Junor, a royal historian, hit out at Andrew’s arrogance.

She told the New York Times earlier this month: “My gut feeling is that most people have lost interest in him.

“He’s arrogant and not particularly popular. Since he’s gone past middle age, there’s been a general sense of ‘what’s he for?’”

Dickie Arbiter, who served as a press secretary to the Queen from 1988 to 2000, has also warned that the controversy could impact Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee.

This week, Buckingham Palace revealed the programme of events marking the Queen’s 70th year on the throne.

Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee will include performances by some of the world’s biggest names, as well as the Queen opening up some of her private estates to the public.

However, despite the plans in place, it is unclear how much the Queen will actually be able to take part in after she was ordered to rest by doctors in the latter part of last year.

Instead, it is believed that other members of the Royal Family will take on much of the duties in her place, including Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall.

The Mirror’s royal editor, Russell Myers, claimed in September that Andrew is confident he will be able to return to public life for the event.

However, the journalist added there are some who have their doubts over this.

He told the Pod Save the Queen podcast: “Someone very close to Andrew that I spoke to is saying Andrew is very bullish.

DON’T MISS

Charles could strip Andrew of titles ‘regardless of the outcome’ [INSIGHT]

Giuffre told fellow Epstein victim she had sex with Andrew [ANALYSIS]

Virginia Giuffre to turn down Andrew’s multi-million pound settlement [INSIGHT]

“He is going round suggesting he will return to public life at some stage and is earmarking the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in order to have cleared his name, move forward, and get back to royal duties.

“I think privately people in the palace will tell you there’s very, very little chance of that happening.

“I have spoken to people who have said there is absolutely no chance that he will be involved in the Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

“There are two very different stories coming from two very different camps.”

Source: Read Full Article