Newcastle local lockdown: Is Newcastle going into lockdown?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Many local authorities in North East England are facing stricter lockdown measures as coronavirus cases rise in parts of the nation. In Newcastle, 194 new cases were recorded in the seven days to September 13 – the equivalent of 64.1 per 100,000 people.

Is Newcastle going into lockdown?

The areas facing fresh lockdown restrictions have not yet been confirmed by the Government, however, Health Secretary Matt Hancock will update the nation today at approximately 11am.

Unfortunately, Newcastle is on the list of areas expected to be put into lockdown again.

Other areas include Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Gateshead, County Durham and Sunderland.

Newcastle City Council leader Nick Forbes said new coronavirus restrictions are being introduced in the North East as a “preventative” measure.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: ”I think we should all be deeply concerned about the rapid increase in the number of coronavirus cases we have seen over the last week in the North East.

“And not just the rapid rise in numbers, but also the fact that the average age of people being infected is going up as well.

“Last week 60 percent of the people that were being tested were between the ages of 18 and 30.

“That is now starting to reach into older age groups as well.

“We know that when it starts to affect older people that’s when you start to get the hospitalisations and sadly also the mortality too.

“That’s why we are acting now as a preventative measure to try to put off any further spread of the virus and ensure that we don’t end up here in the North East in a more restrictive lockdown instead.”

There have been concerns the Government is planning on putting the entire nation on a two-week lockdown.

DON’T MISS
Health Minister confirms UK ‘not in place’ to require national curfew [VIDEO]
Coronavirus map LIVE: Millions face new restrictions including CURFEW [LIVE]
Boris’s COVID plan ripped apart as English councils warn unlikely [INSIGHT]

However, Health Minister Edward Argar has played down the reports.

He told Sky News: ”It is not something I have seen within the department.

“The Prime Minister has been very clear on this. He doesn’t want to see another national lockdown.

“He wants to see people abiding by the regulations and making the local lockdowns work.”

He added: ”In the North East we are seeing a spike in infections.

“It is exactly what we have seen in the North West. We monitor that rate. Where we need to, we step in and take action.”

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick told ITV’s Peston programme on Wednesday: “The number of cases has been rising rapidly in many parts of the country, but in particular in the North East, and so a decision has been made to impose further restrictions there.

“And a full announcement will be made tomorrow and so people living in that part of the country should watch out for that.

“And the measures will come into play at midnight on Thursday evening.

“So, over the course of the day a full briefing will be made available to everybody including the councils and business community.”

Source: Read Full Article