Coventry siege FINALLY ends as armed police break into house five days on from lockdown

The Earlsdon stand-off enters its fifth day

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Specialist firearms officers moved in just after 8.30pm and arrested the 41-year-old man, who has been taken into custody, where he will be assessed by mental health professionals. His son, thought to be physically unharmed, is with other family members and will receive any necessary support from professionals for any emotional and medical requirements.

Supt Ronan Tyrer, of Coventry Police, said: “This has been an incredibly sensitive and challenging siege, which had a boy aged eight, at its heart.

“His safety was our main concern throughout this.

“And so I’m sure everyone in Coventry shares in our relief that we have been able to get him safely out of the house today.

“The situation became untenable and it was decided to bring the siege to an end.

“At all times, we had to balance the risk to the boy being kept in the house, with the risk that he could be harmed if we did enter the house. 

“Thankfully, he appears to be physically unharmed at this stage.

“But he is being properly cared for now to ensure he gets all the emotional and other support he needs.”

Supt Tyrer added: “We are incredibly thankful for the way that the community in Earlsdon have supported us.

JUST IN: Wuhan lab leak theory: Scientists ‘unwilling to incur China’s wrath’

“We know it’s been drawn-out, tough and frustrating, but we have done our best to help you through this.

“I’d like to thank the firearms officers, negotiators, neighbourhood and other officers who have worked day and night to protect this boy, and the public.”

Twitter user Matt Partridge tweeted: “Shots and tear gas in Earlsdon town as the siege ends!”

A cordon had been in place around the house, in the Earlsdon Avenue North area of the city, since January 9 after the man barricaded himself inside the property.

DON’T MISS
Denise Van Outen’s ex fiancé Eddie Boxshall speaks out amid cheat claims after shock split [UPDATE]
Britney Spears dares to bare as she poses in just a tiny thong after celebrating freedom [INSIGHT]
‘What a way to end!’ BBC presenter Alex Scott bids poignant farewell to ‘magical journey’ [INSIGHT]

Speaking hours before police stormed the property, Labour MP for Coventry South Zarah Sultana praised the work of officers trying to resolve the situation safely.

She told Coventry Live: “I think the police have been handling the situation so well.

“I have been reassured and updated daily about what the police are doing and information about the situation.

“This is the second-largest police force in the country and there hasn’t been an impact on resources.

“People are still able to get the help that they need if they need the police.”

Speaking of the disruption to local businesses, including Taylors Butchers and O’Toole’s Cafe, Ms Sultana added: “I know the cafe and the butchers have been deeply impacted and lots of people who haven’t been able to get to work.

“They have shown so much patience and resilience with this situation, actually just helping and providing food to the police and residents here.

“Whatever help they need, however I can help, I am very keen to do so.

“I am sure they are going to need a lot of people to come in when this situation is peacefully resolved.

“So I encourage everyone to go to the butchers, to go to O’Toole’s.”

Source: Read Full Article