Trump details plan for tougher US entry for migrants
The president, speaking in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, told reporters: “We have no choice.
“We will defend our borders and we will defend our country.”
He added: “No nation can allow itself to be overwhelmed by uncontrolled people rushing our border.”
Mr Trump, whose core supporters back a tough line on immigration, also repeated his claim that a caravan of Central American migrants heading to the US-Mexico border is “like an invasion”.
The president added that the “illegal aliens” should “turn back now”.
He claimed the caravan of migrants is causing “a crisis on our southern border” and added: “This is a perilous situation (that will) become even more hazardous.”
Mr Trump has unveiled his immigration policy ahead of the midterm elections on 6 November.
His successful 2016 presidential campaign had a strong focus on border security.
Sky’s US correspondent Amanda Walker said: “The president spoke with a menacing tone, and presented a very dark notion of what is happening.
“The reality is that there are about 5,000 to 6000 migrants heading to the US-Mexico border.
“He wants to say to his voters that ‘this is an invasion’ and ‘I’m going to protect you against it’.”
Mr Trump told reporters on Thursday that immigrants “cost our country billions and billions of dollars each year”, adding that they put an “enormous strain on our local schools”.
The president said earlier on Thursday that the number of troops deployed to the US-Mexico border could reach 15,000.
The figure took the Pentagon by surprise as it had only planned to send 7,000 troops to support Customs and Border Protection agents.
Source: Read Full Article